Latest Posts:
flame9-19-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#19,291) from: GoFastRacerflameflame9-19-2024 Not boat related (Rep.#5) from: GoFastRacerflameflame9-18-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#129) from: stingrayflameflame9-17-2024 Line fire  San Berdo Evacuations (Rep.#12) from: stingrayflameflame9-17-2024 Totally Useless PICTURE Thread (Rep.#973) from: stingrayflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: GoFastRacer

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
LGCDEVILMale Offline

Boatless

Yorba Linda
APPD 0.00
Post Rank: 275
Post Icon Posted: July 26 2004,3:18 pm Post # 1 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

I'm having trouble with the main circuit breaker.  After running the boat at speed, the CB pops when I shut the motor off.  I can idle all day with no problems, but as soon as I turn some RPM's, the CB pops.  I had this problem once before, and went from a 30 amp CB to a 50 amp, and it cured the problem.  I just had the alternator checked and it was good.  The guage was reading about 15 the day before I started having problems, but it dropped back down to 13-14 right before the CB started popping.  I would appreciate any suggestions.
| Member # 207 | Joined: 8-29-2003 |
Sleek-JetMale Offline
Aquarius
HDF Supporter
The Cooler
5,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Batavia, IL
APPD 0.80
Post Rank: 11
Big 'Ole Inner-tube
Post Icon Posted: July 26 2004,3:37 pm Post # 2 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Is the alternator internally regulated or external??

Added any big load items recently??  

Also, check for corroded connections.

A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.
| Member # 81 | Joined: 2-07-2003 |
LGCDEVILMale Offline

Boatless

Yorba Linda
APPD 0.00
Post Icon Posted: July 26 2004,3:48 pm Post # 3 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

It is internal.  The thing just ran good for 4 mos.  Just switched to Optima batteries, but didn't have any trouble the first few days out.  I haven't added anything to the boat but the batteries.
Sleek-JetMale Offline
Aquarius
HDF Supporter
The Cooler
Batavia, IL
APPD 0.80
Big 'Ole Inner-tube
Post Icon Posted: July 26 2004,3:54 pm Post # 4 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

How new of a boat are we talking about??  Does the circuit breaker reset itself, or do you have to manually do it??

A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.
LGCDEVILMale Offline

Boatless

Yorba Linda
APPD 0.00
Post Icon Posted: July 26 2004,5:08 pm Post # 5 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

It's a '91, but everything is new.  It is a manual re-set CB.
Sleek-JetMale Offline
Aquarius
HDF Supporter
The Cooler
Batavia, IL
APPD 0.80
Big 'Ole Inner-tube
Post Icon Posted: July 26 2004,5:22 pm Post # 6 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

CB's pop on current, so most likely you've got an intermitant short somewhere in the system.

I would check all my wires, make sure you haven't chaffed through somewhere.  If that's the case, it would explain the breaker blowing at speed instead of at an idle.

Get down and look at all of the harness carefully.  Pay close attention to where it's clamped, that's always a good spot for chaffing.  Check for bad splices in the wires.  Make sure all your connections are clean and well insulated.  If you still can't find anything try gently tugging on the harness when you've got power on it.  If you pull in one spot and the breaker pops, you've probably found your short.

You can also ring the harness out and look for shorts between wires as well with an ohm meter, but that will take some time.  

Try checking voltages at different points in the system.  It should be fairly constant throught.  If you are getting more than a volt or so drop from the alternator to the load, you might need to re-wire.

If all else fails, replace the circuit breaker.  I've seen them get "weak" and start poping at lower than rated amps.

Edited by Sleek-Jet on July 26 2004,5:24 pm

LGCDEVILMale Offline

Boatless

Yorba Linda
APPD 0.00
Post Icon Posted: July 26 2004,5:42 pm Post # 7 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Thanks for the suggestions.  Here's one more:  What is the correct way to run water to the motor/exhaust?  Right now I have a 3/8 "T" out of the jet.  One goes through a ball valve then splits to the headers (Lightning).  The other side of the "T" goes through a water pressure regulator, then a ball valve, into the front of the motor, out of the thermostat housing into a Dan Olsen cooler and dumps out the back of the boat.  The temp has been running in the 170-175 range, but got up to around 180-185 last time out.  I don't want to run too much water pressure to the motor, but 180 sounds a little high.  It's a 580" Merlin block with Brodix alum. heads.  I usually just run a gate valve to the motor, but the motor builder freaked out about the pressure, hence the regulator.
GoFastRacerMale Offline
HDF Supporter
V-Driver For Life!
50,000 post flame10,000 post flame1,000 post flame1,000 post flame500 post flame100 post flame
Big River, Ca
APPD 7.96
Post Rank: 1
Spectra20
Post Icon Posted: July 26 2004,8:45 pm Post # 8 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Nothing wrong with 180, that's what your daily driver runs at!..Don't know about the cooler though, usually you run water thru the cooler first then to the motor. :stupid Whatever you do though, don't restrict water on the outlet or you'll build up pressure in the block and end up with a milkshake!.. :)
website  | Member # 101 | Joined: 3-03-2003 |
LGCDEVILMale Offline

Boatless

Yorba Linda
APPD 0.00
Post Icon Posted: July 27 2004,9:39 am Post # 9 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Sleek & GoFast,  thanks for your help.
8 replies since July 26 2004,3:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!