Latest Posts:
flame9-19-2024 Three Word Post.....The Next Generation.... (Rep.#19,291) from: GoFastRacerflameflame9-19-2024 Not boat related (Rep.#5) from: GoFastRacerflameflame9-18-2024 The Totally Useless Thread IV (Rep.#129) from: stingrayflameflame9-17-2024 Line fire  San Berdo Evacuations (Rep.#12) from: stingrayflameflame9-17-2024 Totally Useless PICTURE Thread (Rep.#973) from: stingrayflame
No members are browsing this topic
Forum Led by: GoFastRacer

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll
87 ColeMale Offline
Cancer

MacGyver
500 post flame
Carlsbad, CA
APPD 0.07
Post Rank: 61
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,8:09 am Post # 1 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Ok, Need some input. I have a Berkeley jg and I've replaced 2 thrust bearings in the last 2 months. WTF :angry  
This is what I've done so far. New impeller shaft, New stainless A impeller All balanced, New wear ring, New packing and balanced h-bar. I'm stumped. Why am I going through bearings like water? I don't run WOT all the time and max RPM is 7300. Any suggestions would be appreciated  :stupid

I wouldn't mind being the last man on Earth - just to see if all of those girls were telling me the truth.
| Member # 96 | Joined: 2-27-2003 |
miller19jMale Offline
Leo

Super Focker!
1,000 post flame500 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Solvang
APPD 0.24
Post Rank: 34
Boat with an Engine Cover
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,8:25 am Post # 2 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

How are you installing the bearings? Are you pressing them on in a press and supporting them by the inner race or are you hammering them on? If you get the bearing cocked even a little bit when installing it or supporting it by the outer race that could cause it to fail.  What type of grease and how much are you using?

Those bearings are huge I am surprised that they are failing. How are your bowl bearings and wear ring; do they show any wear? If it was a balance or alignment problem it would also show there.

Just tossing out some options.

Hey Sleek Bite Me!
| Member # 5 | Joined: 12-03-2002 |
87 ColeMale Offline
Cancer

MacGyver
500 post flame
Carlsbad, CA
APPD 0.07
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,8:51 am Post # 3 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (miller19j @ July 02 2003,8:25 am)
How are you installing the bearings? Are you pressing them on in a press and supporting them by the inner race or are you hammering them on? If you get the bearing cocked even a little bit when installing it or supporting it by the outer race that could cause it to fail.  What type of grease and how much are you using?

Those bearings are huge I am surprised that they are failing. How are your bowl bearings and wear ring; do they show any wear? If it was a balance or alignment problem it would also show there.

Just tossing out some options.

I'm using a press. Not hammering on anything. I lift the motor to get the shaft completly out of the boat. When I install the impeller I'm not hammering on it either. I use the glad nut to drive the impeller on and ( Yes ) the shaft is supported. Wear ring and even the seal is all good. I'm pre packing the bearing as well and then using the zerk fitting. Maybe a bad set of bearings is the only thing I can come up with???
Thanks Miller for the input and sugg

I wouldn't mind being the last man on Earth - just to see if all of those girls were telling me the truth.
miller19jMale Offline
Leo

Super Focker!
Solvang
APPD 0.24
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,9:07 am Post # 4 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Is the bearing tight when pressed into the suction piece casting?  If I remember correctly that is a press fit as well. If it is loose it may cause some vibration and wear (now I am really drawing at straws).

Did you buy both the bearings from the same supplier?

Hey Sleek Bite Me!
87 ColeMale Offline
Cancer

MacGyver
500 post flame
Carlsbad, CA
APPD 0.07
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,9:17 am Post # 5 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (miller19j @ July 02 2003,9:07 am)
Is the bearing tight when pressed into the suction piece casting?  If I remember correctly that is a press fit as well. If it is loose it may cause some vibration and wear (now I am really drawing at straws).

Did you buy both the bearings from the same supplier?

The bearing was tight onto the shaft and the suction piece. Yes I did get the bearing from the same supplier. Not this time I'm going to buy from someone else. I'm hoping it could be a batch problem from the previous supplier :stupid

Thanks Brad for your attention to this thread

miller19jMale Offline
Leo

Super Focker!
Solvang
APPD 0.24
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,9:28 am Post # 6 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

You said in the other thread that it didn’t start to make noise until the RPM’s went down. That means that it doesn’t make noise when the bearing is loaded. Are you sure it’s the bearing and not the shaft and H bar connection?   :stupid

Hey Sleek Bite Me!
blown 472 Offline
Leo

Al Bundy
500 post flame100 post flame
us
APPD 0.09
Post Rank: 52
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,9:30 am Post # 7 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Maybe you motor is too far back and the h bar spline is up agianst the brg and loading it??

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests???
| Member # 16 | Joined: 12-06-2002 |
87 ColeMale Offline
Cancer

MacGyver
500 post flame
Carlsbad, CA
APPD 0.07
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,9:41 am Post # 8 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Quote (miller19j @ July 02 2003,9:28 am)
You said in the other thread that it didn’t start to make noise until the RPM’s went down. That means that it doesn’t make noise when the bearing is loaded. Are you sure it’s the bearing and not the shaft and H bar connection?   :stupid

It makes a little grinding noise at idle. The h-bar is fine and set right not against the housing or bearing. I just pulled the shaft again and I spin the bearing by hand and can feel it grabbing or catching a little. I'm going with another supplier ???? I'm also going to have the last supplier inspect the last 2 bearings while I watch. I'll report findings

miller19jMale Offline
Leo

Super Focker!
Solvang
APPD 0.24
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,9:50 am Post # 9 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Keep us updated!

I know the problem your motor is making to much power you should give it to me and we will put my 1.5hp Briggs and Stratton in your boat.  Then your current bearing would work fine! :rotflmao

Hey Sleek Bite Me!
blown 472 Offline
Leo

Al Bundy
500 post flame100 post flame
us
APPD 0.09
Post Rank: 52
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,11:27 am Post # 10 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

What kind of brg is it, who made it?? some of the high carbon jap stuff is junk, the outer and inner races will rust and then start to flake.  I saw this alot when I fixxed joe isuzu.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests???
| Member # 16 | Joined: 12-06-2002 |
AZKCMale Offline
Leo
HDF Bronze Supporter
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
10,000 post flame5,000 post flame1,000 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame100 post flame
Tucson
APPD 2.07
Post Rank: 5
1979 20ft Hawaiian Moonraker
Post Icon Posted: July 02 2003,11:29 am Post # 11 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

You better cut your oil filter in half and ck for metal :rotflmao
Hope things work out for ya man, it gets old workin on the same sh!t over and over.

:comp

KC

Edited by AZKC on July 02 2003,11:29 am

God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy......

AUTO SAFETY HOUSE

| Member # 29 | Joined: 12-18-2002 |
87 ColeMale Offline
Cancer

MacGyver
500 post flame
Carlsbad, CA
APPD 0.07
Post Icon Posted: July 03 2003,8:35 am Post # 12 see this member send this member a private message  quote this post in reply

Update, Got everything back together and will try again this weekend. I think I convinced the supplier  the bach of thrust bearings he got were bad at least most of them. WIll report back monday. Thanks everyone :good

11 replies since July 02 2003,8:09 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]
add a reply to this topic create a new topic create a new poll

navbarlogo
The Colorado River WebRing
‹ Prev | Hub | Like | Join | Surprise | Next ›

Please help keep HDF free. If you enjoy this site, feel free to make a donation to keep it running. THANKS!